Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Basics of the Glycemic Index


For those interesting following my recipe blog, I thought I might introduce the food list/chart for GI foods to begin with. Basically a food is given an "index" from 0-100 based on the effect it has on blood sugar (i.e. how quickly it becomes glucose) Big numbers are bad. Small numbers are good. I try not to eat anything with a 50+ index. If you are at all like me, breads, pastries, cakes, and starchy veggies are comfort food heaven, but wreak havoc on your system. What in the world can/do you eat?! Anything I want actually. I've been off and on living low gi for two years and as long as I resist the urge to binge on sweets, my cravings are kept at bay. Its so much easier to live lgi than to diet or go low carb because I'm never hungry. I don't limit portions or starve myself and if I see something that looks delicious....I modify it and try to keep the integrity of the original recipe. So here http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/gifoodlist.html is a guideline for low, moderate, and high GI foods. Also check out http://www.gilisting.com/ for a great alphabetical listing.

No comments: